Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Leah in Madrid

So this past week, Leah came to see me from England and it was so FUN! It was so good to get to spend an semi-extended amount of time with her and hang out! She got here on Tuesday night and we dropped her stuff at the best hostel in Madrid (she always has the best luck!) and went to eat dinner...we both had burgers...we are so American!

On Wednesday, she met me after class and we went shopping...she bought clothes and I bought a bag...it's pink and I like it alot. Then, we had lunch with Kali at the Max (ever seen Saved By The Bell? this place is kind of like what the Max was to the cool kids..everyone hangs out there and they have good food!) Then we saw the Plaza Mayor, Sol, FNAC, Corte Ingles (Dillard's on steroids) and other Madrid things. Then we came back to my home and Leah got to meet the wonderful Pilar and we watched Mean Girls (it had been so long I was forgetting parts...and that can't happen!) and switched pictures, music and the like. Then Clint met us downstairs and we went for dinner at this little place Clint and I like by my house...it's yummy and cheap. I had mushrooms with garlic and they thought I was wierd...I can't help it that I like mushrooms...alot... Anyway, then we all took the bus back so we could see Madrid at night and it went by all the big spots in Madrid. The Number 74 bus that leaves from right by my house is basically amazing and we had fun.

Then on Thursday, which was a fiesta, Leah and I went to Toledo and it wasn't lame like Clint said it would be. It was fun and we enjoyed puttering around the little town and seeing the sights. Except we didn't get to see the El Greco Museum because it was under construction...that made us sad. And we happened to find this little place where we got bocadillos, drinks, and chips for 6 euros total...That's 3 euros each which is amazing! So, we ate in this little plaza and enjoyed the lovely weather and the sun! When we got back, we went to Retiro Park and went rowing on the pond and had a really fun time! Since it was fiesta there was a ton of people in the park and lots of performers and the like and we had fun watching and listen from the pond in our little rowboat. This is Leah and the Puerta de Alcala. Then we came home and rested for a little bit before we headed out to meet Jared and Clint for dinner. We ate at Hard Rock and we took the bus there for the fun of it (I rode the bus more times in the 3 days Leah was here than the whole rest of the semester). We got there really early so we decided to take a walk and ended up finding this amazing pastry place where Leah bought some coffee and we bought some pastries. They were amazing! Then we went back and met Jared and Clint. We enjoyed the free refills and large glasses that Hard Rock has and Jared enjoyed his real brewed iced tea...oh the small things in life! We had fun taking pictures and missing Heather and Colby and then a funny thing happened. This group of waiters came over with a birthday looking thing and told me to stand on my chair because they were going to sing to me...what the heck? Well, turns out Jared told them it was my birthday (which was over 2 months ago) and they came to sing to me. And Jared had stolen my camera and definitely took pictures and video. I was laughing so hard!
Then we went and got churros and chocolate at Sol before heading home.


On Friday, I met Leah and we went to the Prado and zoomed through it. There's so much to see it's a bit overwhelming and some is slightly repetitive but amazing none the less. After the Prado, we did some souvenier shopping and then headed to Sol to meet Jared and Clint. We bought rations and headed to Retiro for a picnic! There was a huge group of kids from some school all wearing red bandanas running around all over the place and we enjoyed watching them. I also found out how to take pictures in black and white and I had fun trying to be artistic.




After lunch, we went over to the Reina Sofia and had a long look around at the cool modern art. Then after about 2 1/2 hours of that we decided to have a coffee in the cafe at the Reina Sofia. Let me tell you...it is a swanky place with red lights and cool modern furniture! We sat there for about 2 hours and had fun taking pictures and hanging out. I don't even know what we talked about for 2 hours but we had fun!




Then we got McDonald's for dinner/snack (jared language) and decided to ride the metro line 6 all the way around because it is a circle. So, we definitely rode the 6 all the way around...so silly! I also got a happy meal at McDonald's and got the scariest/coolest toy ever...I'll post a picture later...


Then we went home and went to bed. The next morning I woke up and took Leah to the airport and she flew away back to Brighton...tear. But I loved having her here but now I miss her even more! :( Oh friends...

No comments: